INFORMATION ABOUT PARTICIPATION
Our research projects are being conducted by researchers at Stanford University. They have been reviewed and approved by the Stanford University Institutional Review Board (IRB), which protects the rights and welfare of participants and ensures that research is conducted with the highest levels of integrity. This means that:
- Participation is totally voluntary; you can stop at any time; you will not be compensated for participating.
- You must be 18 years old or older to participate (while we’d value responses from all surfers, our protocol does not allow for us to survey minors due to issues of obtaining parental consent).
- Your responses are confidential; we will not ask for your name.
- You will be able to submit your email address if you want — it is totally optional! It will be used solely for the purpose of sending you a one-time report describing our findings when the study ends. Your email address will be separated from your other responses (“de-identified”) so we will not know which responses were associated with which email addresses.
- When survey results are analyzed and reported, no identifiable information about any participants will be ever be released; no secret surf spots will ever be outed. We will not ever know, based on responses, who has taken the survey.
- We’re doing this study with the best interests of surfers at the forefront of our minds—we are surfers ourselves!
- The IRB protocol author is Dan Reineman and the protocol supervisor is Nicole Ardoin.